Once you’ve chosen your robot, you’ll want to get it up and running in your garden as soon as possible, so you can enjoy your beautiful lawn and all that new spare time.
There are two options for installing your robot mower – self-installation, or bringing in the professionals. Not sure which is right for you? Read on to see what’s involved for each one.
For any Ambrogio mower (excluding the Ambrogio L60 Elite and Elite S+) you’ll need to install a perimeter wire around the edge of your lawn.
You’ll therefore need to purchase an installation kit along with your mower, which contains the perimeter wire along with pegs and connectors required for installation. We offer three different sizes of installation kit, depending on how much perimeter wire you need.
To find out which size of kit you need, simply use our lawn measurement tool and be sure to choose an installation kit that covers that size.
To install your perimeter wire, follow the instructions in the manual. It is possible to bury the perimeter wire under the turf yourself, but for self-installation, we recommend pegging the wire around the edge of your lawn above the grass and allowing the wire to sink into the ground over time. This is because burying the cable without the proper equipment can be a lengthy and difficult job, and cause unnecessary damage to your lawn.
For all models apart from Ambrogio L60 Elite and Elite S+, you’ll need to find the best place for the base station. A survey can help you with this if you’re not sure.
Self-installation is suitable for you if:
- You have a simple, rectangular or square lawn
- You have a single lawn area with few obstacles such as trees/flower beds
- You’re happy with visible perimeter cables until they disappear over time
- You have the correct tools (and the ability to bury the cables should you wish to)
Please note: Self-installation is not suitable for our commercial Belrobotics mowers.
Tools required include:
- Measuring device, to make sure the cable is laid to the required guidelines
- Wooden mallet/hammer for installing the pegs holding the cable in place
- Straight edge edging tool (if you opt to bury the cables)
- Pliers and wire strippers for connecting the cable sections
- Voltmeter to check for any wire breaks
- A dry box (recommended to protect the transformer)
As part of our all-round service, we also provide fully insured, professional installation, which you can purchase at the same time as your robot mower.
While it is possible to install your robot mower yourself, laying the perimeter wire by hand can be a mammoth task. And if you don’t have the right tools, you can cause unnecessary damage to your lawn.
Our professional cable-laying machinery makes quick work of installing the perimeter wire. By making minimal cuts to your lawn where the cable is inserted, it allows your lawn to grow back over within a couple of weeks. So your lawn will be tidier, happier, and free of any exposed wires.
What’s more, with our commercial installation equipment, we can offer you more advanced installation options. This is especially important if you have a complex-shaped garden, multiple lawn areas, or many obstacles.
What’s included in the professional installation?
- We will do a sweep of the garden, assessing the best place for the base station, and making note of any obstacles, or no-mow areas such as wildflower areas you wish the mower to leave alone.
- We will set up the base station in the ideal place.
- We will lay the perimeter wire cables with our professional machinery. This may include complex installations where there are two separate mowing areas with a corridor for the robot to travel between them, for instance.
- We will connect everything to the base station and test the circuit to make sure it is all connected properly.
- We will make a record of where the perimeter cable is. This way you know where the cable has been laid even when the grass has grown over it, in case of any future relandscaping plans.
- We will introduce your robot to the area and test it to ensure it is working smoothly.
- We will configure the basic settings of the robot according to your preferences and make sure you’re happy with everything before we go.
Professional installation is suitable for you if:
- You want a cable-free lawn right away, and minimal damage to your turf
- You have a complex lawn shape, multiple lawn areas, or lots of obstacles such as trees and ponds
- You don’t have the suitable tools
- You’re unable or don’t have the time to carry out heavy manual labour
- You’re not confident joining wires and fitting electronic equipment
- You want the peace of mind that comes with knowing the job’s been done by professionals
Still not sure which option is right for you? Give us a call and we can talk it through with you.